Former Liverpool midfielder and regular talkSPORT presenter Danny Murphy has slammed Arsenal’s defensive naivety after an appalling 3-2 home reverse to Olympiacos in the Champions League on Tuesday.The Greek outfit had lost each of their previous 12 visits to England, yet emerged victorious from the Emirates as the Gunners’ defensive frailties were glaringly exposed.Arsene Wenger’s side were also unconvincing in their thrilling 5-2 win at Leicester on Saturday, and Murphy cannot believe how disorganised they’ve looked in recent weeks.“I’ve watched Arsenal in their last two games and I must say, defensively, Arsenal have been absolutely all over the place,” said the ex-England star.“Naïve, gung-ho, thoughtless – it’s really not that difficult to play a bit more defence minded.“With the players they’ve got going forward they will create chances.”Prior to Wednesday night’s fixtures English clubs had lost five of their six Champions League games so far this season, and Murphy admits he is concerned by the level Premier League teams have plummeted to in Europe.He added: “Two good wins for the Manchester teams means that everything is not as bad, but the level we are at at the moment is a bit of a worry.“I can’t really put my finger on exactly why because it wasn’t that long ago that we were actually dominating.“[Manchester] City’s quality shouldn’t mean they should scrape through against Borussia Monchengladbach and Arsenal shouldn’t be losing at home to Olympiacos.“It’s not about the quality. I think it’s down to two things; mindset – applying yourself properly in each and every game – and tactics.”
1 Steve McClaren Newcastle head coach Steve McClaren is hoping for a much-needed double transfer breakthrough as he attempts to drag the club out of yet another worrying tailspin.It is understood Bordeaux midfielder Henri Saivet was on Tyneside on Monday to discuss a potential move, while the Magpies are also understood to have formalised their long-held interest in Swansea’s Jonjo Shelvey.Senegal international Saivet, 25, has spent much of his career playing as a winger but has occupied a central role for his club this season and could cost in excess of £4million.Shelvey, who was coveted by former boss Alan Pardew during his time at St James’ Park, appears to be heading out of Swansea after losing his place under first Garry Monk and then new boss Alan Curtis.He was reportedly involved in a row with a Swans fan following the club’s 3-2 FA Cup third round defeat by League Two Oxford on Sunday.Shelvey has been linked with a £10million switch to Newcastle as the club attempts to end a run of four consecutive 1-0 defeats and ease itself out of the Barclays Premier League relegation zone with home games against Manchester United on Tuesday evening and West Ham at the weekend.
Deputies linked the Guerreros to Barrio Nuevo Estrada, a local gang of about 430 members, but said Dasalla was not a gang member, according to court documents. Prosecutors requestedthat some witnesses’ information be kept confidentialto avoidretribution. A witness who was walking with Dasalla claimed to have seen very little when testifying at the preliminary hearing. The witness said he did not see Dasalla get shot, and that he was “not really listening” to exchanges between Dasalla and the Guerreros. He also said he walked away and tried to ignore the fight, because “it did not have anything to do with me.” Gabriel Guerrero was convicted of robbery in 2000, and also has misdemeanors for driving without a license, possession of dangerous fireworks and marijuana possession. One of the key witnesses is Gabriel Guerrero’s girlfriend, Regina Zarate, who was in the van. She testified during the preliminary hearing that Daniel Guerrero was the shooter, and that when he shot Dasalla, Gabriel Guerrero was actually slumped in the minivan after being shot himself. She also told the court they dropped off Daniel Guerrero and the other man in the car at a friend’s house with the rifle, and then took Gabriel Guerrero back to her mother’s house in Pomona, and from there to the hospital. However, investigators found the rifle used in the murder jammed in a trash can at the Zarates’ house. The red minivan belonged to Zarate’s mother. Zarate testified that she and Guerrero had left her mother’s house, along with a friend of hers, to run some errands, and that she had no idea they were planning to track down Dasalla. [email protected] (626) 962-8811, Ext. 2105160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! PASADENA – A trial date of Jan. 8 was set Thursday for a Rosemead man charged with murdering a Gabrielino High School student in April 2005. Gabriel Guerrero, 26, is accused of involvement in the shooting of 17-year-old Ryan Dasalla as retribution for a fight Dasalla had with Guerrero’s younger brother, according to records in Pasadena Superior Court. Authorities have been searching for Guerrero’s other brother, Daniel, for two years. Witnesses said Daniel Guerrero pulled the trigger. In February, Los Angeles County issued a $30,000 reward for information leading to Daniel Guerrero’s arrest. Deputies said he was suspected to be hiding out with extended family somewhere in Central America. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Gabriel Guerrero first had a trial scheduled for October 2006, but it has been delayed several times. The prosecutor in the case, Michelle Humphrey, did not return phone calls about the case. According to court records, the Guerreros pulled up in a red minivan next to Dasalla, who was walking home just outside Gabrielino High School in San Gabriel, and asked him where he was from. Witnesses testified that another man in the car was Steven Escobar, a friend of Daniel Guerrero’s. Escobar was never charged, although investigators interviewed him about the case. He was not called to testify in the preliminary hearing. Sheriff’s Detective David Carver, who investigated the case, did not return calls about Escobar. Gabriel Guerrero attacked Dasalla while Daniel Guerrero or Escobar pulled a rifle, according to court documents. The shooter killed Dasalla and accidentally wounded Gabriel Guerrero, who was later found and arrested at Pomona Valley Hospital Medical Center.
LAUSD fails children again with plan to charge to use playgrounds THE Los Angeles Unified School District, with its $6.4billion budget, its thousands of overpaid bureaucrats and its flawed, $500million payroll system, needs to come up with a piddly $3.8million to balance its books. So where do district officials plan to get cash? Where else? From the kids. Superintendent David Brewer III has announced that, come March, the LAUSD will begin charging some nonprofit groups for the use of district facilities for after-school events. That means youth sports leagues and other organizations that give kids something constructive to do will have to start paying – and the results could be disastrous. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre The Northridge City Little League, for example, will need to pony up about $2,000 a week for its 12-week season. That comes to about $37 per kid – an expense that will surely be passed on to a good many families that can’t afford it. This, at a time when city officials all agree that gangs are our most pressing issue – and that quality after-school programs are a great way to keep kids from joining gangs. And this, at a time when obesity has become a childhood health crisis – and our children need supervised exercise more than ever. All so the district can save a few bucks that could easily be trimmed from its administrative bloat. But being the LAUSD, this policy isn’t just pernicious; it’s also unfair. For starters, the Girl Scouts are exempt, probably because they fought this policy so passionately, and appealed directly to school board member Tamar Galatzan. It helps to have a voice in high places. Too bad not everyone does. Other nonprofit groups will be placed into one of two pricing categories, depending on how well they measure up to prescribed district criteria – a policy likely to benefit better-funded, more organized groups, as well as the well-connected. Least fair of all, though, is that the taxpayers of Los Angeles – who have already paid for these facilities, and did so under the promise that they would be available for community use – are now being charged a second time. The LAUSD is pinching pennies at the expense of public safety, public health and good government. Kids will suffer so bureaucrats can prosper. It’s an LAUSD obscenity.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
The last writers walkout in 1988 lasted 22 weeks and cost the industry $500 million. The entertainment industry contributes an estimated $30 billion a year to the Los Angeles economy, or about $80 million a day. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre The Terminator is taking aim at the Hollywood writers strike. Arnold Schwarzenegger says he has been talking to both sides and urging them to settle the strike that began on Monday. During a news conference in Sacramento, the governor said the dispute is having a major effect on the state economy. Schwarzenegger, a former A-list actor, says writers, union officials and studio executives won’t feel the financial crunch as much as electricians, set designers and other behind-the-scenes workers. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Letterkenny’s newest eatery, Uptown Cafe and XL Shop was a hive of activity at its official launch on Valentine’s Day.Manus Kelly and Seamus Doherty were joined by family, friends and customers as they cut the ribbon to officially open their new business.The cafe launched with a family fun day, which attracted strong crowds all day. Children and adults were entertained with face-painting, balloon modelling, bouncy castles, music and dance performances as well as a visit from Mickey and Minnie Mouse.Rally enthusiasts were treated to an exhibition of rally cars at the launch and the special guests included 2014 Irish Tarmac Champion Declan Boyle and his Subaru Impreza WRC and 2014 National Modified Rally Champion Declan Gallagher with his white Toyota Starlet.Donegal Sports Star Team of the Year 2015, Termon ladies also called in to wish Seamus, Manus and the Uptown team all the best for the future.There were free treats from the Uptown Cafe menu which guests enjoyed throughout the day. A talented bunch of young dancers, coordinated by Manus’s sister, Kelda Kelly, entertained the crowds with several performances and Manus and Seamus even got in on the act, joining the ladies in a dance off.An impromptu solo performance by local musician, Maria Mc Cormack, was another highlight of the day.Maria sang a number of songs, including one that she wrote specifically for Letterkenny’s Church Lane and Cathedral Quarter.Following the success of the launch, the Uptown Cafe and XL team welcomed TV3’s, The Restaurant chef, Gary O’Hanlon to the cafe on Pancake Tuesday.The Ramelton native had a lovely morning talking to Uptown Cafe customers and even bumped into his third and fourth class teacher, Mrs. Phil Friel, formerly of St. Mary’s NS Ramelton. Uptown Café is located on the Justice Walsh Road and is open Monday to Friday from 8am to 6pm and on Saturday’s from 8am to 5pm.Call the café on 074 91 64779 or keep up to date with the latest news on the Uptown Café Facebook page.PICTURE SPECIAL AS UPTOWN CAFÉ XL SHOP LAUNCHES IN STYLE was last modified: February 19th, 2015 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:BusinessFeaturesManus KellynewsOfficial launchpicture specialUptown CafeXL Shop
Diego Simeone, the Atletico Madrid manager Diego Simeone has rubbished claims he will leave Atletico Madrid at the end of the season to take over at Inter Milan or a Premier League club.The Argentine has worked wonders in Spain, helping Atletico win La Liga and reach the Champions League final during his reign.It has led to Simeone being linked with a move to England as either the new manager of Arsenal or Chelsea.Inter Milan are also interested in the 45-year-old after he spent two years at the San Siro as a player back in the late 90’s.However, Simeone has denied reports he is about to jump ship and instead committed himself to Atletico.“Rumours are always present, they come and go and they don’t destabilise me at all, any more than criticism does,” Simeone told La Nacion.“I wake up every morning with the maximum enthusiasm thinking about nothing but Atletico Madrid.” 1
Arsene Wenger insists Arsenal can rescue their season by winning the Premier League.The Gunners were knocked out of the Champions League by Barcelona on Wednesday night as the Spanish giants ran out 3-1 victors in the second leg of the last 16 clash to seal a 5-1 aggregate win.Their Euro exit followed a shock FA Cup exit at the hands of Watford last weekend, leaving the league title as their last hope of silverware.Wenger’s side, currently 11 points behind leaders Leicester, will have to enjoy a sensational end to the season to stand any chance of lifting the crown.But the Frenchman believes their battling display against Barcelona at the Nou Camp proves they have it in them to do it.When asked if there was enough in the performance to say that Arsenal can still win the league, he replied: “I think yes.“I’m pleased with the performance. The quality of our game was good. I’m disappointed with the result but we played a team with the best three strikers I’ve seen. The Premier League is more open than people think.”While praising his own players, Wenger reserved special praise for Barcelona’s trio of world-class forwards – with Neymar opening the scoring and Messi adding a late third after Suarez had rifled home a memorable, acrobatic volley to kill off Arsenal’s lingering hopes.“We had chances and Barcelona are an exceptional side,” Wenger added.“Barcelona, going forward in the final third with the quality of passing and creativity, Messi was absolutely exceptional.“He went for 90 minutes and came out of the game without missing a first touch, no matter where the ball came from. Barcelona have two or three players who can transform normal life into art.”Holders Barcelona now go into Friday’s quarter-final draw, with coach Luis Enrique bullish when asked about possible opponents.“The only team I don’t want to face is Barca, and it’s a certainty that we won’t,” he said.“Obviously we have unique players but in the end the great thing about this team is they work collectively – in both attack and defence.“Suarez, Messi and Neymar feed off each other. I am pleased they’re our forwards.“To be able to resolve games we have to have their initial pressure. They help us create pressure, and they get back to defend as well, which every team needs in any competition.” Mohamed Elneny celebrates scoring for Arsenal against Barcelona 1
Jesus Navas in action for Manchester City Manchester City pulled off a massive surprise by securing a 2-2 draw with French giants PSG at the Parc des Princes in the Champions League.Kevin De Bruyne and Fernandinho scored for Manuel Pellegrini’s men, taking the lead through the Belgian and then fighting back to secure the draw after Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Adrien Rabiot had netted for the hosts.It was a great team performance by the visitors, and they will be delighted to have scored two away goals, however, one player was not impressive.Jesus Navas has shown little recently to suggest he is a top level player, and City fans were once again not that pleased with the Spanish winger playing the entire game.We collect some of the best reactions to Navas’ performance v PSG below… 1
Paul Ince says Andy Carroll must be handed a place in the England squad for this summer’s European Championship.Three Lions boss Roy Hodgson has an array of options to choose from in attack, including Harry Kane, Daniel Sturridge, Danny Welbeck, Jamie Vardy and Wayne Rooney.But Ince believes Carroll would provide Hodgson with a much-needed ‘Plan B’ in France and has urged him to find a place on the plane for the West Ham striker.The powerful 27-year-old hit a hat-trick against Arsenal last week and looks to be back to his best after numerous injury problems in recent years.Ex-England captain Ince told talkSPORT: “We have Vardy, Sturridge, Kane, Welbeck, but they are all similar types of striker. Andy Carroll gives us a Plan B.“I understand the way the game has changed now and it is all about pass, pass, pass, but if you are 1-0 down with ten minutes to go and you need that ball in the box… He [Carroll] is the most aggressive and the best header of the ball we have in the Premier League.“And he has been out for quite a while so you are getting a fresh, hungry Andy Carroll. I don’t see any reason why he shouldn’t be in the squad.”Like Carroll, another player who is in form and being tipped for a Euro 2016 spot in Manchester United starlet Marcus Rashford.The 18-year-old has been a revelation since making his first-team breakthrough in February and struck his sixth goal in 11 games on Wednesday night to help United move into the FA Cup semi-finals.But Ince believes this summer’s finals have come too soon for the rookie striker.“He has got the potential to be a very, very good player but we are going a little bit over the top and getting a bit too excited with him,” said the former United midfielder.“His time will come. We tend to big these players up after two or three games or one season, but he has got a long way to go.“He is exciting and he is one for the future but when you go into the European Championship finals in France you need your experienced and your strong players. Carroll comes into that category.”Read More: ‘Andy Carroll could be England’s secret weapon at Euro 2016, but who would you leave out?’ – Harry Redknapp