Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
Share Sharing is caring! Tweet Share Share InternationalLifestyleMoneyPrint Stocks: European worries dominate by: – December 12, 2011 217 Views no discussions NEW YORK (CNNMoney) — U.S. stocks pointed to a lower open Monday as investors remained uncertain about the debt crisis in Europe. The Dow Jones industrial average (INDU), S&P 500 (SPX) and Nasdaq (COMP) futures slid ahead of the opening bell. Stock futures indicate the possible direction of the markets when they open at 9:30 a.m. ET.European leaders, including the 17 members of the eurozone, reached a deal for a new intergovernmental treaty Friday to create fiscal unity and resolve the long-running debt crisis once and for all. The plan is expected to be finalized by March but a lot can happen between now and then. “The agreement last week is a long-term positive, but it really doesn’t solve the immediate problem,” said Peter Cardillo, chief market economist at Rockwell Global Capital. Cardillo cites Moody’s “renewed call to review European sovereign debt,” as a source of pressure weighing on the markets. Early Monday, the credit ratings agency said Friday’s plan offered “few new measures” and pledged to review the credit ratings of all European Union members at the beginning of the new year. “Moody’s believes that the system remains prone to further shocks, which would likely lead to selective rating changes,” wrote Moody’s analysts. Europe debt saga far from overWithout any major U.S. economic reports due out Monday, the euro will remain the main driver, Cardillo says. Also on Monday, the European Commission, European Central Bank and International Monetary Fund, known as the Troika, will return to Athens to continue discussions with Greece’s new government about that country’s bailout needs and austerity plans. U.S. stocks rallied Friday, after the European debt plan was announced.World markets: European stocks were lower in midday trading. Britain’s FTSE 100 (UKX) slipped 0.8%, the DAX (DAX) in Germany dropped 2.1% and France’s CAC 40 (CAC40) fell 1.4%.Asian markets ended mixed. The Shanghai Composite (SHCOMP) shed 1%, while the Hang Seng (HSI) in Hong Kong ticked up 0.1% and Japan’s Nikkei (N225) rose 1.4%.Companies: Financial stocks will once again be in focus as the biggest reactors to European debt concerns. Shares of Citigroup (C, Fortune 500), Bank of America (BAC, Fortune 500), Goldman Sachs (GS, Fortune 500) and JPMorgan Chase (JPM, Fortune 500) were all down between 0.5% and 1% in premarket trading.Currencies and commodities: The dollar gained strength against the euro and British pound, but fell versus the Japanese yen. Oil for January delivery slipped $1.23 to $98.18 a barrel. Gold futures for February delivery fell $30.40 to $1,686.40 an ounce. Bonds: The price on the benchmark 10-year U.S. Treasury was little changed, with the yield holding steady at 2.05% from late Friday. CNN News
Cristiano Ronaldo had strong words with Juventus players after their shock 2-1 Serie A defeat to Hellas Verona on Saturday night, reports say. The Old Lady have since been overtaken by Antonio Conte’s Inter Milan in the race for the Scudetto. And Ronaldo did the same – all while manager Maurizio Sarri stood there. Sarri reportedly stood by and listened in and was approving of the message that the Portugal international put across. In previous years, the Old Lady have had the league title all but in the bag at this point in the season. However, Juventus’ defeat coupled with Inter’s win over Milan means they’re no longer top of the Serie A table. read also: Cristiano Ronaldo breaks Juventus goal record Inter have been in fine form under Conte who, ironically, kickstarted Juventus’ dominance of Italian football. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Ronaldo scored for Juventus against Verona on Saturday night but, in a sensational twist, the hosts came back to win 2-1. It was a frustrating evening for the Old Lady, with the result made worse by Inter Milan’s stunning 4-2 win over AC Milan on Sunday. Ronaldo was visibly frustrated after the game and reports in Italy have claimed he snubbed fans wanting to take photographs afterwards. And the Daily Mail say the 35-year-old vented his fury at Juventus players after the game. Gianluigi Buffon and Leonardo Bonucci reportedly both ‘hammered’ the squad for their abject performance.Advertisement Loading…
MESQUITE, Texas – Smiley’s Racing Products reaches a sponsorship milestone in 2014, its 10th season as a partner with IMCA. Drivers in five divisions again receive contingency awards, based on national or regional point standings, from the high-performance parts manufacturer and distributor.“When IMCA was on the verge of switching to a new tire manufacturer almost a decade ago it became important to align with a quality and trusted distributor network,” IMCA Marketing Director Kevin Yoder said. “Smiley’s Racing Products was the cornerstone of that network and continues to be a trusted partner as we enter our 10th season with them. We couldn’t be more happy with the relationship.” Gift cards good for $50 go to top 10 finishers in the Razor Chassis South Central Region for IMCA Xtreme Motor Sports Modifieds, the Arnold Motor Supply Southern Region for IMCA Sunoco Stock Cars and the Charger Chassis Southern Region for IMCA Sunoco Hobby Stocks.Top 10 drivers in national standings for Scoggin-Dickey Parts Center Southern SportMods and Mach-1 Sport Compacts all get gift cards of the same value and also redeemable at the Smiley’s Mesquite, Texas, location. Smiley’s Racing Products also returns to national decal programs for both Northern and Southern SportMods and drivers in both divisions must display two Smiley’s decals on their race car to be eligible for point fund shares. Information about Smiley’s products is available by calling 972 289-7223 and at the www.smileysracing.com website.
By Brian HomewoodZURICH, Switzerland (Reuters) – FIFA is set to ignore the old adage about not messing with a winning formula by approving president Gianni Infantino’s plans to expand the World Cup.The 37-member FIFA Council, which makes strategic decisions for soccer’s governing body, will on Tuesday decide whether to increase the tournament from the current 32 teams to either 40 or 48, starting in 2026.Infantino, elected last February to replace the disgraced Sepp Blatter, pledged during his campaign to enlarge the tournament – a promise designed especially to appeal to the bulk of FIFA’s 211 member associations that rarely or never qualify for World Cups.Infantino now says he has “overwhelming support” for his plans. The Council’s nine European representatives seem least likely to support the change.A spokesman for the European governing body UEFA offered little enthusiasm, saying it was “currently gathering feedback from its national associations – which are the ones directly impacted by any change”.The association, representing Europe’s most powerful clubs, already struggling to nurse players through long domestic seasons, last month wrote to Infantino to say that “politics and commerce should not be the exclusive priority in football”.But even if the Europeans oppose the expansion, Infantino’s comment suggests they will be in a minority.TRIED AND TESTEDCritics say it would be wrong to change a 32-team format that, in 2014 in Brazil, produced a tournament of exhilarating football, unpredictable results and few meaningless or hopelessly one-sided matches.German football boss Reinhard Grindel said on Thursday that FIFA should stick to its “tried and tested formula”, and that all of the possible alternatives had “considerable weaknesses”.Infantino has said his preferred option is for a 48-team tournament that would start with 16 groups of three teams, where the top two would qualify for a knock-out round of 32.“For this alternative, the draw would probably have to be abolished to avoid tactical behaviour in final group matches,” said Grindel.“But having extra-time and penalties in the group stage is itself problematic, adding organisational difficulties to an already higher number of matches.”Infantino has also proposed a preliminary round of 16 knockout ties, with the winners joining 16 seeded teams in a 32-team group phase.“This would lengthen the tournament by one week for half of the participating teams, and considerably increase the burden on the players,” Grindel warned.There are also two proposals for a 40-team World Cup – the first featuring eight groups of five teams in the first round; and the second with 10 teams of four, where the group winners and six best runners-up would progress.Grindel said the first choice would lead to “a large number of matches where teams would be just playing for pride”, and the latter could leave some second-placed teams waiting for up to four days to find out whether they had qualified.“Past World Cups have always been tournaments that have enthused players, spectators and sponsors alike,” he said. “So why change it?”
Avishka Fernando smashed 82 off 75 deliveries.Sri Lanka upstaged Bangladesh by seven wickets in second ODI. Sri Lankan team sealed the series after second win in Colombo. highlights New Delhi: Sri Lanka’s star sensation Avishka Fernando hit a quick-fire half-century as the team eased to a seven-wicket win over Bangladesh in the second one-day international to seal the three-match series in Colombo on Sunday. Fernando, who has been in sensational touch of late smashed 82 off 75 deliveries laced with nine boundaries and two mighty sixes, which eventually helped the host to reach the target in less than 45 overs after Bangladesh were restricted to 238-8, despite wicketkeeper-batsman Mushfiqur Rahim making an unbeaten 98 runs.Mathews struck occasional leg-spinner Sabbir Rahman for a four to complete Sri Lanka’s win. He was unbeaten on 52 runs facing 57 balls. He was well supported by Mendis, 41 not out, in an unbroken 96-run fourth wicket stand.However, as the 21-year-old Fernando was making Sri Lankan fans smile, his father, who had come to watch his son bat, collapsed in the Colombo Stadium. He was rushed to the hospital. Fernando though had no idea and he continued to play his knock. It was Fernando’s second fifty in ODIs and it came just after a few matches after his 104 against the West Indies in the cricket World Cup.The cricketer came to know about his father’s illness after returning to the pavilion. It was learnt that Fernando’s father is diabetic. Fernando later told the media that he was out of danger. “I was batting in the middle when my father collapsed and I was totally unaware of the fact. I only got to know about it after I was dismissed,” Fernando said. About the game, he said he had no regret over missing a century since his team won and he bagged the Man of the Match.Here’s the Tweet: For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.
The second edition of Lagos State Secondary Schools Hockey Championship ended at the Campos mini stadium on Lagos Island with Eletu Odibo Senior High School, Bariga and Okemagba Senior High School, Epe winning the tournament.The competition, organised by the Lagos State Sports Commission and the state’s hockey association was planned for all secondary schools (public and private)Â in the state to discover potential hockey players in secondaryÂ schools across the state.While Eletu Odibo won the boys’ event after defeating Igbooye Community High School, Epe 3-1, Okemagba Senior High School hockey team were champions in the girls category after they beat Igbooye Community High School 1-0.Okemagba and St Patrickâ€™s Grammar School,Â Epe, won the third positions in the boys and girls categories respectively.Awards were given to individual players who distinguished themselves in the competitions. In the boys’ category, Igbooye Community High School’s Rasaq Olaitan won the Most Valuable Player (MVP) award, Adamson Nosiru of Eletu Odibo won the highest goal scorer award, while the school also won the best goalkeeper award through Yusuf Ibrahim.In the girls category, Okemagba High School’s Paddy Mercy was declared the MVP. Highest goal scorerÂ award went to Opuene Christiana of Igbooye Community High School, while the best goalkeeper was Nimota Yusuf of Surulere Girls High School.Executive Chairman of Lagos State Sports Commission, Dr Kweku Tandoh, described the tournament as a laudable developmental event.“The buzz has created more awareness for the game of hockey new talents identified by the technical team of the stateâ€™s sports commission and more important, the competition was a good preparation for the forthcoming National Youth Games, NYG and other schools games. I must commend and thank His Excellency, Governor Akinwunmi Ambode for his support and approval for such developmental games for school sports in Lagos, ” Tandoh said.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
Pete SharlandRoger Federer defeated Nick Kyrgios 6-4, 6-1 7-5 in the third round of the US Open yesterday. The blockbuster clash of the day, Federer and Kyrgios didn’t disappoint even if the latter played it true to form.In the first set, Kyrgios kept pace with Federer, even imitating his opponent’s serve at one point, but he totally fell apart in the second. Nothing was coming off and the Australian was having repeated arguments with his box and was clearly struggling with his first serve.Federer, perhaps riled by that earlier imitation, was in no mood to let up and raced into a 5-0 lead before comfortably finishing off the set.Federer produced the shot of the match, and possibly the tournament, when he somehow scrambled all the way across court to make a Kyrgios drop.Once there he directed it around the net when it looked as if he had no angle, leaving Kyrgios stunned.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Federer salutes the crowd
MOUNT PLEASANT, Mich. — There was one condition when Scott Shafer and the Syracuse coaching staff decided to put freshman Ervin Philips in the back of the kick-return unit. The Orange would still have to work Philips into the offense. After the running back returned a kick in the first quarter against Central Michigan on Saturday, he reappeared in an offensive package that allowed him to not just stay on the field, but lead Syracuse to a touchdown. “We try and put packages together for them and whoever gets hot we stay with that package,” offensive coordinator George McDonald said of the five SU running backs who carried the ball in the game. “(Philips) got in there, he probably played less than 20 plays, but he got in there in his package and he really did a nice job maximizing his opportunities.”Philips carried the ball seven times for 50 yards in a 15-play touchdown drive in the third quarter of Syracuse’s (2-0) 40-3 win over Central Michigan (2-1) at Kelly/Shorts Stadium Saturday. Senior Adonis Ameen-Moore led SU with 106 yards on nine carries, but it was the freshman who danced around the Chippewas’ defense, illustrating the true depth of the Orange backfield. AdvertisementThis is placeholder textWith SU’s fast-paced attack forcing CMU’s hand for two quarters and change, Philips’ speed and shiftiness proved too much for a tired defense to handle. That kind of “closer” role is usually reserved for a power possession-savvy back, but the Orange may have one with a slightly fleeter foot. “He’s a scat back and you know he can drop his feet in the grass and come out of it really fast,” Shafer said of Philips. “I think the offense was afraid I was going to move him to corner if he didn’t get the opportunity to run the ball. That’s a joke.”Before Philips entered the game, most of Syracuse’s rushing success came from quarterback Terrel Hunt. Then Philips carried on the first four plays of the Orange’s third third-quarter possession, collecting 1, 9, 12 and 4 yards, respectively. Shafer has been discussing the freshman class’ talent since the start of camp and Philips’ has been ingrained in the front of that conversation. Even with two seniors and two juniors seemingly ahead of him, Shafer has continually said that Philips’ playmaking ability will get him on the field. Saturday was his first real chance to either hedge expectations or live up to them, and he accomplished the latter. “They told me that the time is going to come, when the opportunity presents itself you have to go get it,” Philips said. “So when I got in there I just tried to do the best I could and what the coaches told me.”After a 12-yard rush by Philips brought Syracuse to the Central Michigan 10-yard line, Philips ran 9 yards before he was wrapped up from behind. He reached the football out just short of the end zone and Hunt ran the ball in on the next play to give the Orange a 26-3 lead. It seemed like Philips had earned the last carry of the drive, but the freshman will have to wait at least one more week for his first career score. “Man, that was heartbreaking,” Philips said. “I thought I was in but it’s all right, we scored on that drive.” Facebook Twitter Google+ Comments Published on September 15, 2014 at 12:10 am Contact Jesse: email@example.com | @dougherty_jesse